Senior/Lead Front End Software Engineer
About the role
We are looking for an experienced front-end software engineer to join our team to design and help deliver top-quality digital solutions. We work with a wide range of clients – the Royal Navy, Honda, Orange and many other leading global brands – and an even wider range of technology. We’re looking for an enthusiastic, experienced Front End Architect with lots of React experience and a track record of integrating front end applications with a range of other systems.
- Lead the front-end technical architecture, design, and delivery of projects in line with our coding standards, processes, and industry best practice
- Oversee upcoming and in-flight projects from a front-end point of view, ensuring the right approach is followed and that standards are met
- Work with the creative and UX teams to own the design of processes and ways of working to ensure a smooth and efficient flow of work between teams and a collaborative approach from the beginning
- Continually explore the cutting-edge of front-end engineering and architecture, sharing knowledge with the team and exciting them about the possibilities, owning the roll out of key initiatives where appropriate
- Own the planning and implementation of technical initiatives within the front-end team, ensuring buy-in and accountability from team members
- Work with the rest of the Technical Architecture team to design and implement the right solutions for our clients
- Promote a positive approach to software engineering and architecture with a can-do attitude within the team
- Be user-focused and customer-focused in your technical approach, considering their needs first and ensuring your technical designs meet the requirements of the customer and their end users
- Be a role model communicator, both within the team, within the wider agency and with clients
- Lead by example when it comes to engineering against our standards and best practices
- Peer review work across the engineering team as needed
- Feed into estimates for projects, and work to improve our estimation process
- Establish yourself as a trusted source of front-end architecture and engineering knowledge within the agency
- Establish yourself as a trusted technical partner with relevant key clients to build relationships and help generate new opportunities
- Work with Head of Engineering, Technical Director and New Business Director to develop and promote Front-end consultancy and Architecture services
- Provide thought leadership, blogs, talks and internal/external promotion of Great State and the Front-End Services
- Ensure that our internal ways of working across our core Front-End tools and technologies are being adhered to across the agency consistently and with rigor.
From a technology point of view, we use the following:
- HTML, CSS (latest versions)
- Front-end state management
- Modern application architecture patterns (e.g. MACH, JAMStack, micro frontends)
- Modern infrastructure architecture patterns
- Systems integration patterns
- A range of modern content management systems (e.g. Sitecore, Umbraco, Contentful)
Tech aside, these characteristics are very important to us:
- Great problem solver
- Enthusiasm for what you do
- Be able to give and receive feedback with an open mind
- Passionate about the quality of the end product
- Have good awareness of industry trends, best practices and standards
- Adaptable at the pace of an agency
- Be able to take on the challenge of learning new tools and frameworks
- To own your place in the team and help to continuously improve the Engineering team for everyone
We offer all the usual fun benefits associated with a digital agency plus flexible working hours, the ability to work from home and 27 days holiday, plus bank holidays. We welcome fresh opinions and strive for an inclusive environment.
If this role suits you down to a tee, apply now. No agencies please.
“Building diversity into our team isn’t just important to us as people, it is business critical.
We design digital products and services for a diverse world, and so we want a diverse team who enable us to produce the best work for our clients. We don’t just celebrate differences; we want a team that is built upon them.
A team that represents all sexual orientations, ethnicities, faiths, and gender expressions. Every person is welcome at Great State and we offer the appropriate support throughout anyone’s journey with us.
Equally if you have a disability or a special need that requires accommodation or our attention, then we want you on our team, and we actively encourage you to apply.
Please complete all fields unless stated as optional.